Tuesday, October 25, 2022

How-to birthday card with dot coloring using Nature's Harvest stamp set

 Have you tried dot coloring around your stamped images?

I love coloring. That's no secret around here. One of my favorite flower stamps we currently have at Stampin' Up! is in the Nature's Harvest stamp set. It's a trio of flowers and can be used for many occasions. I love images that go the extra mile and have loads of uses.  For this card, I used a coloring technique known in the cardmaking world as dot coloring. However, in the art world it has another name- stippling. Regardless of what you call it, I love doing it. This type of coloring adds layers of texture on your card and can take simple layered cards to the next level. 


I love using this technique around my images and to create what I call a pixelated background. You can make it a tiny, thin border around your stamped image or you can make it a thick, wide border to create a unique background. This technique can be used around colored images, solid stamped images or around images left uncolored to add a pop of color.

Below you'll find a video showing how I made this card and the dotting technique. It's very simple but takes a little practice to get a feel for what you like.


Measurements:
  • Very Vanilla card base 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" folded in half or scored at 4 1/4"
  • Cajun Craze layer 5" x 3 3/4"
  • Very Vanilla layer 4 3/4" x 3 1/2"
  • (optional) Cajun Craze and Very Vanilla layers for the inside of the card with same measurements as front layers.
Supplies:
  • Very Vanilla and Cajun Craze cardstocks
  • Nature's Harvest stamp set
  • Framed Florets stamp set (available to customers in November 2022)
  • Soft Suede classic ink
  • Stampin' Blends markers: Bermuda Bay, Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, Crumb Cake, Soft Suede and Natural Tones 500 & 600 and the color lifter on hand for highlights and touchups
  • Stamparatus
  • Multipurpose liquid glue
Get Supplies in my online store.

Here's some up-close pics of the dotting detail:



This technique works well with the Stampin' Blends markers because the alcohol markers blend as they dry and leaves a smooth finish. Have you tried the blends markers? You can do this technique with the Stampin' Write markers, however, the texture and finish will be quite different from blends as the Stampin' Write markers are waterbased and dry very quickly and do not blend. I encourage you to try out what you have and see how you like it. 

Check out this video to see how I made this birthday card and how I did my dot coloring background: 


Thank you all for stopping by my blog today. If you're inspired, please leave me a comment and let me know if you tried this technique. 

If you need any Stampin' Up! supplies, please visit my online store. If you need recommendations or help ordering, email me at stampandcreatewithbeth@gmail.com.

Happy stampin' 

~ Beth

P.S. Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel and see more videos on cardmaking! Subscribe here.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Stained Glass Card Technique- Check out this amazing technique

 Have you ever made a stained glass card or one that looked like a stained glass window? It's a super neat technique. You're gonna l...