Tuesday, September 20, 2022

4 ways to do the spotlight technique

 4 ways to do the spotlight technique:

Have you heard of this technique?

I love using different techniques on my handmade cards. Have you heard of the spotlight technique? It's exactly what it sounds like. You are simply spotlight an area of your card. I'm going to show you 4 ways to do that. 

Let's get right to it and dive into this technique. I know you're gonna love it. 


This first way to do this technique is for any level of cardmaker. You pick any stamp you have and stamp it all over a piece of cardstock. On my card sample, I used The Birthday Piggy stamp set. I stamped several pigs in Basic Gray classic ink. (*I stamped the piggy with the cake to the far right first, then masked the cake on the rest) I colored the piggy with the cake in with Stampin' Blends markers. This creates a spotlight on the one pig that's colored in. It's simple but effective. This card is a mini slimline and measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2". 


The second way to do this technique is also very simple and great for any level of cardmaker. You can select any designer series paper (patterned paper) you have on hand that is black and white or has white space that you can add color. For this card I used the Abigail Rose paper that has an Early Espresso (neutral) background and white flowers. Then I picked a single flower and colored it with Watercolor pencils. I cut my patterned paper 3 1/4" x 4 1/2" and cut a colored cardstock mat just barely bigger at 3 3/8" x 4 5/8".  Everything is kept really simple so just that one area is spotlighted and draws the eye. 


The third way to do this technique is a little more involved. I still believe all levels of cardmakers can do this, however, this example does require you to have the cut & emboss machine and dies. You could use a punch if you have one that will reach into your card layer. For this card, I stamped one of my favorite floral images all over a piece of Basic White cardstock with Basic Gray classic ink. Then I chose an area to highlight and color. I picked a stitched circle die from the Stylish Shapes dies and ran it through my cut & emboss machine. I cut an extra circle of the same size to adhere to my die cut so it would pop up just a bit from the rest of the layer. I colored the die cut circle with Stampin' Blends markers. Then I adhered the layer to my card base and adhered the circle back where it fit. This is a great way to add a little more to your card but still keep it simple and spotlight one area.


The last way you can do this technique is similar to the third way except you add an additional die cut layer under your circle die cut. For this card, I used the Perfectly Penciled designer series paper and die cut it with the same stitched circle I used in my third sample. Then I used a scalloped circle from Layering Circles dies to mat behind my die cut. I used Basic Black for my card base and scalloped circle. By using a neutral color it helps keep the focus on the area you spotlighted. I colored the flowers on the patterned paper with Watercolor Pencils. 

To step up your cards even more, you could add in your favorite ribbons or twines and embellishments. I like to forgo these elements to keep the focus on the area I've spotlighted. There's not really a wrong way and I encourage you to give it a try with the supplies you have on hand. Experiment with different papers, patterns and die cut shapes.


Here's another version of the spotlight technique with a die cut shaped after I stamped a piece of cardstock. I made this card on my Facebook live video- Coffee and a Card. I give the participants choices and we make a card together. I love working through the creative process. You can check my Facebook page for upcoming scheduled lives. I used the Cottage Rose stamp set and Layering Diorama dies. To see how I made this card and here about the other techniques, watch the video below. 


Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and checking out the spotlight technique. I hope you give it a try and put your own spin on it.

Need Stampin' Up! supplies? Please visit my online store

P.S. This is the third week of September weekly deals so be sure to check out what's on sale.

Please comment and let me know if you tried this technique. See you soon!
~ Beth













No comments:

Post a Comment

Stained Glass Card Technique- Check out this amazing technique

 Have you ever made a stained glass card or one that looked like a stained glass window? It's a super neat technique. You're gonna l...